Wetland Biodiversity Conservation Project
The program assists the implementation of an Integrated Ecosystem Approach by state actors and user groups in three provinces to safeguard wetland biodiversity and sustainable use of natural resources. The targeted areas are located in the industrial provinces of Zhejiang and Shandong and in Heilongjiang, a province dominated by large-scale agricultural firms. The programme supports the implementation of national action plans for the preservation of biodiversity and sustainable use of wetlands in the context of China's international obligations, in particular the conventions on Biological Diversity (CBD) and Wetlands (Ramsar).
- Environmental policy advise and institutional coordination.
- Development of management models.
- Support to Municipalities and stakeholders in preparing wetland management plans.
- Preparation of a capacity development programme.
- Ecosystem assessment.
- Value chain analysis for selected wetland protection practices including ecotourism measure options.
- Assisting the Shandong Yellow River Delta National Nature Reserve to achieve Ramsar status.
- Development of a wetland monitoring system, lessons learned and best practices. Monitoring of project progress and impacts.
Back to Selected References